Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Ace Adventure

Rob and I made the trip to Minden, WV for the ACE Adventure Bike Fest. We did this race last year and thought the course was awesome and were excited to go again this year. We got on the road early around 5:30 am. This is way too early for me to get up but figured Rob was driving, and I could catch some Z's on the way down.

The trip took about 4-1/2 hours and we were pretty happy when we finally got there. After I got registered I looked around and it seemed like there was a good turnout of about 100 racers. After a short warm up it was 11:00 and time to get started. The start was fast and the lead changed several times. About 25 minutes into the race there was a group of 5 of us that had a nice gap on the rest of the field.

Then Nick Waite and Gunnar got away from Rob and me. Rob caught up to Gunnar and left me behind. Andy Weidrich was close to me the entire time. When we were getting close to the end of the first lap I caught a glimpse of Rob. I was able to catch up and pass him before the first lap ended. I was by myself for what seemed like a long time. Then I saw Gunnar up ahead on a short road section. After working hard I finally bridged up to him and road his wheel for a little bit. Then Andy caught both of us and the three of us rode together for a bit. I fell back from them when we got back into some single track and never caught back up.

We had a great time and the trails were awesome... lots of rocks and some technical downhills. I wish we had more time after the race because all the racers got free passes for the water park at the ACE Adventure Center. It looked like a good time but we wanted to get on the road.

Thanks to Jeff ( the guy works on the trails) and everyone from ACE Adventure for the great race.
Check out http://www.iplayoutside.som/ and http://www.aceraft.com/ for more details
Here's the men's top five list
#1 Nick Waite
#2 Andy Weidrich
#3 Gunnar Shogren
#4 Justin Pokrivka
#5 Rob Spreng

Don't forget this weekend is the Subaru 24-Hour Champion Challenge at 7 Springs. See you there!
Justin

No comments: