Monday, September 21, 2009

Peanut Butter Festival

(See attached file: pbf.jpg)
It's that time of the year again the days are getting shorter the leaves are starting to change. So here in Western PA that could only mean one thing it's time for bike racing season taking center stage with some great local events. Last week was the Tour De Strongland which didn't work out to well for me. The 14th annual New Bethlehem Peanut Butter Festival was on Saturday and the Month of Month starts on Sunday. In year past these races always seemed to be the last races of the year for but that has changed. I'm planning on racing cross in to early December and also have the La Ruta coming up quickly in November.


Not sure how many times I did the PBF race maybe 5 or 6. I really enjoy this race for lots of reasons it's close to home, has a pretty laid back atmosphere, I get to catch of with people I don't see to often, and there's not much going on in New Bethlehem so the Peanut Butter Festival always takes center stage. The course had a few changes for this year. The start had a longer stretch on the road to get an little more separation and some new single track was also added. As usual the start was fast and hard but I managed to be the first into the single track. I always seem to remember bits and pieces of the course and the new single track was nice. After coming out of the new single track I came to a very familiar section the tunnel. The only bad thing about coming to the tunnel was until this point in the race it was dry with only few small puddles. Then not long after that it was onto the long double track climb it's not steep but it seems pretty long. I was very surprised by how many puddles and mud bogs there were. When you finally get to the end of the double track that's when it gets steep. Up though a grassy field onto a road that seems like it's someone's driveway then across a black topped road onto a gravel road back into the woods. I knew I was getting close to the end when I got to the stream crossing behind the school. Then back onto the road for a short uphill finish. I was really shocked when I crossed the finish line and looked at my time 1:04:29. I was pretty happy with that time if I remember correctly my time from last year was about 1:15. Waiting at the finish I seen Ruth come across and seen she also won.


We got cleaned up and headed over to Gumtown Park for the festival and to get something to eat. This was also the final race for the Bike the Wilds series too. When my name was called I was very surprised because they announced that my time was the new course record. Not sure what the old record was but I was very excited to break it. More good news was to follow too I came in third in the Bike the Wilds series and Ruth was second. If that wasn't enough fun for the day I planned on riding home after the race. I've always talked about doing this but never did it was 58 miles and about 3:30 hours. I think 2 hours would have been prefect I seemed to struggle a little more than I wanted too for the last hour and a half. I just want to say thanks to everyone involved for the good time.

Check out all the action here www.pbfmtbrace.com and www.fattirechallenge.com Next year the rumor is the Bike the Wilds will be a five race series including the Dash for Cash

J



No comments: