Thursday, July 23, 2009

Bobcat on your left

(See attached file: bobcat-2.bmp)

This past weekend plans changed again but it still turned out to be a good weekend. Early in the week the plan was go to the WVMBA in Davis on Sunday. But after putting the gash in my shin on Thursday I figured it would be best to skip the WVMBA race. For a few reasons the biggest being that every time I've done this race in the past and it always involves allot of going thru sanky stinky deep water bogs. While I was deciding what to do over the weekend I got a text from Jason said he was heading up to his cabin in Kennerdale. He had what sounded to be good plan Saturday a big ride at Kennerdale. Saturday night ride down to Emlenton for River Fest and fireworks. Then Sunday ride up to the Blue Canoe Brewery in Titusville for lunch round trip was a 104 he said.

Friday night we packed up and hit the road I was glad because it was a short drive only 90 minutes. We got to the cabin pretty late on Friday and I stayed up way to late and had way to much beer. Then Saturday morning got up had breakfast and headed out. The weather was prefect and trails were even better. I love riding Kennerdale with Jason and company because he makes some good loops. But the weather and trails only held up for about 90 minutes that's when the lighting and thunder started. We found a ledge that had some big rocks and was like tiny cave to hide under until the storm finally past. It went through pretty fast only about 30 minutes. We rode for about another 90 minutes or so then headed back to the cabin.

Everyone was just hanging out and waiting until it was time to head to Emlenton. I think it was about 7:00 when we left for our 8 mile trip to Emlenton. Ruth and me took the tandem which was pretty fun. The 8 miles turned out to be like 16 miles but it was no big deal. Emlenton is really no big either except on River Fest night. I've never been there before but tonight the streets were full and everyone seemed to have a beer in hand. After looking for a while we finally found a spot that we were hoping would give us a good view of the fireworks. Finally they started and our spot was OK too. I'm really not into fireworks and don't understand why some people get so excited about them either. But after about 5 minutes I had enough and was hoping that they would end soon. Finally the end came and we pedaled back to the cabin.

Sunday morning came and we ate and got ready to head out for the today's big adventure. I think we had 10 people and 9 bikes that sounds pretty cool. We only started 15 minutes later than planned and that's pretty good for such a big group. About 20 in we suffered our first mechanical Parker got a flat. It happened just as we were starting down a big hill going about 35. He had a sign of relief that nothing else happened. Once we got to the rail trail and were close to Franklin everyone jams on there brakes and someone said watch out for the kitten. After a better look the kitten turned out to be a baby Bobcat. It was cool but I really didn't want to stick around incase Mommy decided to show herself. After that it nothing else worth mentioning happened until we got to Titusville. That's when everyone's day was ruined the Blue Canoe was closed for electric repairs. What to do now? After riding around town for a little bit everyone decided that the buffet a Pizza Hut was our best opinion. So after a lunch of pizza and salad it was time to head back. Or so I thought we had to make one more stop on the edge of town to the DQ for Tim to get his milkshake.

On the way back we stopped at the BMX track which was pretty cool. I managed to get a few laps in on the tandem too. I did a warm up lap with Ian and then tried to clear the table tops with Ruth on the next lap but was unsuccessful. Then before long we almost back to Kennerdale and got to go through a long ass tunnel on the rail trail I think it's about a 1/4 long. It seemed that we were riding for a while with out seeing any light for either side. Then we finally were out and just had the last uphill grunt back to the cabin. After 90 some miles it became pretty clear to me and Ruth that tandems don't climb very well.

Also if anyone reads this I have a couple of favors that I must ask of you. First if you've ever been to the Blue Canoe Brewery in Titusville tell me is it worth the trip? Second if you see Tim Heck ask him why the heck was he carrying a huge scented candle around all day in his pannier bag?

Justin

No comments: