Thursday, July 22, 2010

Hill Billy Roubaix


(See attached file: tires.jpg)
(See attached file: HBR.jpg)
First thing first I'm getting the same question asked over and over again from lots of different people "How was the Hill Billy Roubaix?" My answer it was hard but fun worth the price of admission. So here's my best description it's a dirt and gravel road race. It's 70 miles long has about 30-40 miles of dirt and gravel roads about 5-6 miles of quad trails and the rest is pavement. The next question is what's the best bike setup? That's easy a CX bike with at least 30C tire. I took the hard route and used my road bike cause my CX bike is setup for commuting and was to lazy to make the necessary changes. I did get lucky and was able to squeeze a set of 28C on which are still on 4 weeks later. The fast started pretty fast and there seemed to be a pretty group of like 10 people that formed pretty early and got smaller quick do to flats. After we got through the first rocky downhill and some quad trails it was group of 4 Gunnar, Gerry, Andy and me. Then it went to 3 people and finally Andy and Gerry dropped on a descent. From that point on I past Andy and the only other people I seen was Ryan and Ben on the motto. I was feeling good and still trying to chase Gerry down but around hour 3 I started cramping. That's when I went from chasing to worrying about be getting caught. Somehow I finished and managed not to get caught and was second overall. So yes it was hard and fun all at the same time and worth checking out. Thanks to JR and his crew for the fun. I got some moonshine and I'm pretty that this time next year I'll still have some moonshine.

J

No comments: