Thursday, December 10, 2009

La Ruta de los Conquistadores Day 3

(See attached file: day 3.bmp)

I'm not sure if I was getting used to getting up at 4:00 AM or what but getting ready this morning didn't seem as bad. We headed down to breakfast and I was dealt my first bit of adversity of the day. Up until today the breakfasts have always been a buffet with a descent selection of food. But not today there was some fruit, toast, cereal and eggs which would be fine if I liked eggs. I really don't like cereal but figured I'd give it a shot and that was when I found out just how disgusting the milk in Costa Rica is. So I ate a few bars that I had brought along and got on the shuttle hoping that the locals had the wheel they promised for Ruth. We got to the start and found them and everything was cool to go what a relief.
I've been hearing about today's stage all week long and how technical the downhill from the top of the volcano was. Looking at the elevation profile there was about a 20 mile climb to the top then a long downhill. It didn't look as steep as the climbs from the first two days but we would be climbing up to about 9700 feet. I got in my usual starting spot near the back of the back. It had rained everyday since we arrived but today was the first day we started in the rain. I had a good start and was riding pretty well. The road up was a gravel road that had some rocky sections and a couple of hike a bike sections. I was still passing people and not getting passed and got to check point number 1. It was only 12 miles in and I didn't even bother to stop. Shortly after that is when we turned onto the pavement for the last 10 miles of the climb. After a few miles on the pavement not sure if I slowed down or everyone else picked up the pace but I got past by allot of people. Then finally after 22 miles of climbing I made it to the second check point which was the top of the climb. I was pretty hungry and ate some stuff and put on my jacket. The downhill started out as a gravel road then quickly turned into a rutted up jeep rock with lots of softball sized rocks. The rain picked up and went from a light drizzle to a terenchal downpour. Funny thing is though this was the most fun I've had after 2-1/2 days of racing. It was also the first time when I thought having a 29er was an advantage and not a disadvantage. I past allot of people and found it funny by how much trouble they were having. After a few near misses with some horses and cows I reached checkpoint number three. That was the end of the rocks and ruts and it was back onto the pavement for about 4 more miles of downhill. It flattened out and there was about 8 more miles to the finish. Today I had my best finish about 1:15 behind the leaders 10th in the vet class and maybe in the top 35 overall. Ruth had a good day too and then it was off to get ready for the last day and the dreaded railroad tracks.

J



1 comment:

Gary Bywaters said...

Yet another great story, keep them coming.
Gary Bywaters
USA Cycling Official